If you’re looking for a band to add to your summer playlist, be sure to check out Second to Last. The band has just released their new EP Vessel and are heading out on a full U.S. tour this summer. Tyson, lead singer of the band, answered some questions for Casual Friday regarding their future plans. Check it out, make sure to see them on tour this summer, and purchase their new EP on 7″!
1. Second to Last has been associated with bands such as The Story So Far, Seahaven, I Call Fives, Maker, Daybreaker and more. When did you guys actually form as a band and what brought you all together?
We’ve been a band since summer of 2007. We we’re just entering sophomore year of highschool. We’ve evolved quite a bit over time and the lineup has changed. I’d say we were brought together through friendship and love for the same bands.
2. Earlier in May you guys streamed your new EP Vessel. Where was this recorded and how is the response you are receiving from your fans after releasing it?
It was recorded at the Panda Studios in Fremont, CA with Scott Goodrich. He always brings out the best out of us and allows us to have fun and be ourselves in the studio. We’re kind of his test dummy I feel like. Every time we put him at the reigns it gets better and better. The reception from the fans has been fucking awesome! I honestly thought we’d be lucky to sell ten the records first day and we definitely topped that goal. These songs came the most naturally out of any songs we’ve written and I feel it’s obvious when you listen to the music and lyrics. It’s a perfect depiction of where we were at during that time period. Very thankful that everyone is seeming to enjoy. We appreciate the kind words.
3. Your previous EP The Waiting Game was released in June of 2011. Can you explain how you evolved as song writers since then and what approach you guys took to write the songs for Vessel?
I think The Waiting Game was more of a rushed writing process and we were all pretty confused during that time period. Two members that were in our band then were not a part of the song writing process for Vessel, so of course it’s going to take a slightly different turn. For the most part I think that we’ve always had the same goal which is to write songs based on what we’re going through emotionally and that sheds light on the music we listen to a bit.
4. Vessel is being put out by Hella Mad Records. How did you become involved with this label and what made you guys want to release your EP with them?
The label evolved from a highdea. My friend Mike and I had always wanted to put out records growing up and had never really entertained that idea to one another. One day we did and we started with a few local bands that we were into such as Point Of View and CAPS. Mike put up some money for them to record and we’re just trying to have some fun with it and see what becomes of it all while still learning a thing or two here and there. It’s a lot of fun.
5. What bands influenced your writing style for Vessel overall? Can you name some bands that you guys are listening to these days?
I think a lot of bands from the mid 90′s up until around 2005. Bands like Jimmy Eat World, Alkaline Trio, Hot Rod Circuit, Green Day. Somewhere in the middle of those. Lately I’ve been listening to Point Of View, the new Anti Flag record is really cool. Hostage Calm is another band whose record I’m always spinning. Amazing musicians and the lyrics are super insightful.
6. You guys are still really young. Has your age ever prevented you from taking Second to Last as far as possible?
It’s always been the problem. This band is growing up for us. I dropped out of high school as a result of being infatuated with this band and everything its taught me about life. Things take time and it’s taken time for me to learn that. It makes us work harder and appreciate the little things more than a lot of bands. I think that’s what’s cool about a lot of bands that are blowing up right now. We all are coming from the same place so there’s an understanding of the struggle for sure.
7. Can you discuss the tours/shows that Second to Last will be involved with this summer? Who will you guys be playing with?
We’re doing a string of dates from June 2nd through the 12th with Point of View. We’ll be home for two weeks and then we’re doing a full US with American Verse and Bellwether as well as dates with Carridale. Should be a lot of fun. Really stoked to play Today’s Mixtape Festival in Amityville.
8. Which places do you guys love to play the most? Who gives you the most support?
The northwest has always been cool to us. This summer will be our first first full US. Really excited to see how people perceive the songs!
9. Do you know of any plans for after the summer? Any tours being talked about? Will you begin writing for another release?
I know we will definitely be releasing something in the fall. Haven’t decided what yet though. We’ll be doing a tour in the fall that I don’t know enough specifics about to say anything about.
10.What bands would be involved in Second to Last’s dream tour?